While everyone hated to be lied to, there are times when we just can not, for-the-life-of-us, avoid it, specially when we are trying our best to not hurt someone. Of course, telling the truth is always better. Rip the bandage off fast! Avoid getting trust issues with friends, family and co-workers.
Here’s a list of lies that people always use:
- Yes, I am almost there. I am here at (insert fake location here). I’ll be there soon.
- It wasn’t me.
- I was stuck in traffic. There was this huge accident between a car and carriage!
- It’s okay. I’m fine.
- No, you don’t look fat in that dress. It fits you perfectly! (silently judging the love handles that peek out)
- Of course! I won’t tell anyone, I promise! Your secret is safe with me.
- I love it! (seriously, you give me this on my birthday?)
- I’m pretty sure I sent that email. I guess it was stuck in my outbox. Stupid Outlook!
- Yes, boss, I am actually in the middle of working on it!
- My phone died and I don’t know where my charger was.
I am pretty sure there are lots more that we say to one another to avoid hurting another person, but I would rather hear the truth and be hurt, than be lied to. I would respect a person more if he/she just tells me the hard truth. I mean, c’mon! Waiting for someone who’s always stuck in traffic is just plain annoying. If you are notoriously late, expect your friends to talk about you while waiting for your arrival. True story. Always happens.
Just be honest.